So What is Happening in Christchurch? (30 Jan 2012)
Many guests question why such a large part of the city is still inaccessible and why, almost 1 year after the most widely known quake, more has not been done in terms of recovery. It is hard to explain by saying “it was a very big earthquake” but recently we found these statistics – current as of 29 Jan.
For a start, aftershocks are still occurring 16 months after the first major quake on 4 Sep. 2010, with 400 greater than magnitude 4.0, and more than 40 greater than magnitude 5.0.
The estimate of damaged property to be rebuilt has increased from $15b to $20 billion-plus. Total claims could be $30b.
Properties destroyed include some 20,000 homes, 1250 commercial properties in the CBD & 300 outside, 65% of hotel accommodation.
Nearly 70% of 1357 buildings approved for demolition have been demolished but the remaining 30% are mainly the bigger, more difficult buildings meaning large parts of the city centre will remain off limits until late 2012.
100,000 houses need repairs - 80% to be done by 2014 but so far only 7000 houses have been repaired.
A comparison of damaged property & insurance with Japan & Chile;
Some $20b of damaged property - about 10% of NZ's GDP – will be rebuilt. The Japan quake was about 3-4% of Japan's GDP. Insurers will meet 80% of Christchurch losses to date whereas they will meet only 17% of Japan's and 27% of Chile's earthquake losses last year.
Local businesses have done well compared with those in other earthquake-devastated economies. The Canterbury Employers' Chamber of Commerce says 90% of 350 members within the 4 aves are still operating in the city.
These statistics may go some way to explain how “it was a very big earthquake” and why its taking a long time.
CBD Cordon Reduction Click Here
From CentrePoint on Colombo Motel Blog
Beyond the Cordon - Red Zone Bus Tour
Red Zone Tours have started so we booked online and headed along to see just what the fuss was about – is it worth paying $15 per person to see our own city.
Our tour started just as the fog that had hidden the battered city centre since morning started to lift. While chilly on the bus till the end, the low cloud cover diffused the direct sunlight allowing a panoramic view on all sides of the bus uninterrupted by any dazzling sunlight. Cont'd....
Did we need to do this???
Cordon reduction is a big thing. I can say that cos we were cordoned and curfewed for 18 days after 222. Cont'd....